Sushi - A Gameboy game

 gamejam, programming

This is a blogpost I've been meaning to write for a long time, it's about a game Nils and I wrote back in January 2017 for the Inno Games game Jam. That game jam happened together with the global game jam and the topic was: Waves. The source code for the game can be found here Nils and I both like challenges and even before going to the game jam we had decided to write a game for the original Gameboy (1989) and we decided to write it in assembler. This was inspired by the Ultimate Gameboy Talk on the 33c3 that happened in December of 2016, so we bought a Gameboy Advance and a Cartridge that is capable of

CLion 1.1 EAP

 programming

After writing about my thoughts on the CLion 1.0 release, I figured it’s only fair if I now also write about the new 1.1 EAP which Jetbrains released yesterday. I’ve only tested it for about an hour, but, I’m very very pleased with it! The parser The parser got some major improvements! It’s still not a Clang but something home cooked, but boy did they put some serious effort into it. It’s still not quite there, for example, it still has issues deducing potential side effects in lambdas properly, like in the following snippet: template<class T> void Enumerate(const std::function<void (T *, size_t, bool &)>&

Pebble Blueprint

 project, programming

Guys, guys, guys... I have been working on a project for a couple of weekends now and to make a long story short it's a watchface and watchapp generator for the Pebble Time for iOS. The basic idea is that it allows putting watchfaces/watchapps together easily and then deploying them on the Pebble that is attached to the iOS device. Here is a video of the whole thing in action, note that the iPad simulator uses US keyboard layout and I only have my German one, so, yeah, you can watch me stumble over the keyboard quite a bit at times: Also, my Pebble Time arrived yesterday and this is how it looks like in real life: Took quite

CLion, a couple of weeks after the EAP

 programming

I bought CLion after sporadically using it in during the EAP phase. I’ve been using Xcode and Visual Studio as IDE of choice so far on OS X and Windows, and both are great, but when developing a cross platform library like Rayne it definitely was a pain to keep both project files in sync. CLion promises to not have that issue, be cross platform AND allow me to use one single build system: CMake. If you are unaware about what CLion is, CLion is a C/C++ IDE by Jetbrains, the guys behind products like IntelliJ, AppCode, WebStorm and more. In short, they know IDEs. CLion is my first Jetbrains product. I’ve heard good things about them,

Integrating Crashlytics into Build Bots

 programming

Testflight has seemingly no interest in its regular business anymore and broke the crashreport symbolication a long time ago. We are quite dependent on that though, we don’t want to know how many times the app crashed but where it crashed. So, a week and a bit ago we jumped ship to Crashlytics, which is a really nice platform to analyze crashes. The only issue is that their dSYM upload requires a run script build phase, so their upload script runs as part of the build process. Now, you can add plenty of ifs around that to make sure that you don’t upload debug dSYMs, but still, chances are you will end up uploading more dSYMs than you